Saturday, February 11, 2006

Bonnie "Prince" Billy "Ease Down the Road" (2001)

Something of a curveball here after 3 pop albums, this one's very laid back. It belongs somewhere in the folk/country/singer-songwriter category, with very finely crafted songs that open up only after careful listening; this is the first album where the lyrics really matter.

This is the second of 3 Bonnie "Prince" Billy albums I have. The first, "I See a Darkness", is as gloomy as it sounds (with songs like the title song, "Death to Everyone", "Today I Was an Evil One", etc). The third, "Master and Everyone" is post-breakup, and often as close to silence as music can get. "Ease Down the Road", the middle one, is the easiest to listen to. It has the fullest sound and the most accessible lyrics. Almost all the songs are about love, infidelity, and sex, and many of them are downright lewd. But what makes the album is the depth and complexity of the songs and the simple, timeless music.

The indicators point to Mr Oldham being in love, a fact that doesn't excuse the album's low point "Just to see my Holly home", a jangly, jaunty effort with a chorus that begins to jar after a couple of listens. -RTE.ie

Of the more fleshed out tracks, "Just to See My Holly Home" is by far the most successful - a sing-along style track that bursts with genuine happiness and blissful surrender. -pitchforkmedia.com

1. May It Always Be
Solid. Both the starting point and the summation of the album.
2. Careless Love
Solid. There's something spiritual and essentially American about his voice.
3. A King at Night
Standout. Continuing to grow on me after dozens of listens. I just realized today that this song is brilliant.
4. Just to See My Holly Home
Solid. I love the sing-along chorus, especially juxtaposed against the misanthropic lyrics. Could be a standout only I'm not really sure what's going on with the lyrics.
5. Break of Day
Standout. A great, great breakup song. Captures a full range of thoughts and emotions. I love the contrast of the verse and chorus. The verses have just the fragile vocals over a simple piano line of half notes. The transition to the chorus begins with a little drum flare, then brings in a beat and backup vocals. Doesn't sound exciting, but it adds up perfectly.
6. After I Made Love to You
Solid. The ability to take such timeworn subject matter and express it so perfectly is incredible. The only thing I don't like about this song is the little piano flourishes. They're unnecessary and a bit out of place as there's no other piano in the song.
7. Ease Down the Road
Solid. How do you like that, Mr. Dylan?
8. Lion Lair
Filler. Not such a fan of this one. It's less appealing than any of the preceding songs and 50% longer than any of them. That said, it's still decent.
9. Mrs. William
Filler. Another song about infidelity, but nothing that interesting to say here.
10. Sheep
Filler. I like the thumping beat here and the rhyming. It reminds me of driving through the night.
11. Grand Dark Feeling of Emptiness
Solid. Ah, finally pulling out of the 3 song lull! Gotta love the loping verses, the momentum carrying through to that final line, as if the melody couldn't have been any other way. This song wouldn't be out of place on "I See a Darkness". When the full chorus enters at 2:22, it brings a real weight to the song.
12. Rich Wife Full of Happiness
Solid. What the hell is the random electronic 5 second intro? Anyone? Where did that come from? Other than that, fantastic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home