The New Pornographers "Twin Cinema" (2005)

This is catchy stuff. More of a singles album than anything else, most of these tracks are rhythmically-interesting pop music best played at high volume. Good to get you going in the morning, when you need a kick of energy in the afternoon (I do), or at night if you feel like pissing off your upstairs neighbours.
I have no idea what any of these songs are about. Any of them. I don't even know if the lyrics are proper sentences or what. Doesn't matter.
I'm going to see these guys play with Belle & Sebastian on March 21. It's going to be awesome.
Is it their best album? Maybe not. Is it still the best pop album of the year? Of course. -Cokemachineglow.com
speaker-blowingly brilliant -Rolling Stone
- New Pornos on allmusic.com
- New Pornos official site
- Twin Cinema on metacritic.com
- Twin Cinema on amazon.com
- 1. Twin Cinema
- The pure rush of indie rock! Comes in at 2:59; any longer would be a crime.
- 2. The Bones of an Idol
- I usually skip this one as it kills the momentum right at the beginning of the album. Slow, bland melody. I do kind of like the pulsing backing that comes in at 0:38, and the guitar at 1:15, and the full backing at 2:11 (it is pretty awesome for the last :30). But I still just want to skip to track 3.
- 3. Use It
- Great song.
- 4. The Bleeding Heart Show
- Absolutely fucking brilliant. Turn this up as loud as possible.
- 5. Jackie, Dressed in Cobras
- I usually skip it. Like track 2, just kills the momentum.
- 6. The Jessica Numbers
- Something about the rhythm in the verses here.
- 7. These Are the Fables
- Okay, at this point the album does need a little breather, and the beginning of this is it. Inoffensive. And then the ending is killer, starting at 2:38. Great pulsating rhythmic thing going on there, with the 2nd layer of vocals coming in and kicking ass. If the first 3/4 of the song weren't so bland, this would have to be upgraded.
- 8. Sing Me Spanish Techno
- Keeps growing on me. Borderline standout.
- 9. Falling Through Your Clothes
- Nice bit of chorus where it gets loud but doesn't do anything for me really.
- 10. Broken Breads
- The slow thing it starts out with is kind of blah, but I like how the pace keeps changing. The faster parts are quite catchy.
- 11. Three or Four
- Like the music a lot here. The guitar part is good, the verse melody is good. Don't care for the chorus.
- 12. Star Bodies
- Another rush, like the first track. GREAT intro to the chorus. See 1:20-1:26. I wish the song were built around that. The chorus itself doesn't do much for me. Especially the "take me to where your sister lives" part, I could do without.
- 13. Streets of Fire
- A pretty little ditty.
- 14. Stacked Crooked
- Just like "The Bleeding Heart Show", this track has a good deal of pleasant noodling until it goes into a transitional instrumental period (2:07) and then breaks out of it into a kickass finale (3:00). It's like at some point they looked at each other in the studio and said "Okay, enough yanking them around, let's give them the good stuff."
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home