Josh Rouse "Nashville" (2005)

Rouse's sixth album is the strongest I've heard. It's not life-altering and the music breaks no new ground, but the songs are all high-quality and sometimes sublime.
Scott thinks it slips a little too much into soft-rock, and while I agree that it does have that aesthetic and that is the danger, for the most part I think it avoids that trap with quality songwriting and the intelligence to avoid melodrama and sentimentality.
Somebody will really have to pull off a miracle to top Nashville as far as intelligent, honest and entertaining guitar pop goes in 2005. -allmusic.com
- Josh Rouse on allmusic.com
- Josh Rouse official site
- Nashville on metacritic.com
- Nashville on amazon.com
- 1. It's the Nighttime
- Standout lyric: "and maybe / after the late late show / we could go to your room / and i can try on your clothes". Not a life-altering track, but very enjoyable.
- 2. Winter in the Hamptons
- 3. Streetlights
- Standout moment 2:57. If you have the sound turned down, I promise you it is well worth turning it way the hell up for 2:43-3:26. This song is another borderline standout, mostly because the melody of the chorus ("We could talk about the...") doesn't do anything for me.
- 4. Carolina
- Pretty unoriginal.
- 5. Middle School Frown
- Juvenile lyrics, weak music, feels contrived. But then I've read multiple reviews calling this a "high point". What the hell.
- 6. My Love Has Gone
- 7. Saturday
- 8. Sad Eyes
- Your standard "crescendo over course of track
culminating in rush of blood to the head chorus." Borderline as a standout because it is so standard. - 9. Why Won't You Tell Me What
- Only cause it doesn't fit on this album, otherwise filler. I did read a reviewer claiming that understanding how it fits into the album thematically makes it makes more sense, but it hasn't happened for me.
- 10. Life
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home